Global Enrichment OpportunitiesGlobal Enrichment Opportunities (“GEO”) providing an educational or service experience connected to a field of study or interest are highly encouraged as they expand knowledge and enhance cultural awareness.
Thomas Jefferson University students traveling internationally for Global Enrichment Opportunities are REQUIRED to complete a Travel Registration under the following circumstances:
- You will receive any financial support from Jefferson through grants, awards, or stipends
- Your travel experience is in any way connected with a TJU Program, Faculty, or Staff member
- You will receive any type of educational credit connected towards your TJU degree (e.g., Applied Practical Experience hours)
- Your travel is connected to a student organization associated with TJU (e.g., Global Brigades, Midwives for Humanity)You are representing TJU in any capacity outside the United States (e.g., presentation of work performed at TJU in an academic conference abroad)
- You are representing TJU in any capacity outside the United States (e.g., presentation of work performed at TJU in an academic conference abroad)
- The travel is for personal reasons such as a vacation or a service-oriented trip unrelated to your academic field of interest[MW1] or student organization associated with Jefferson
- You have already completed an application for a Study Away Program (you are already in the Travel Registry)
Travel Restrictions: Travel to destinations with a Level 3 or Level 4 designation by the U.S. Department of State may be restricted.
Time Frame for Registration: Allow at least 8 weeks prior to your travel to support any additional review and visa processes. If you are a student leader of an organization on the East Fall campus planning international travel, the Study Away office requires notification at the start of the academic year so please contact the Study Away office as soon as your group is considering international travel.
If you are unsure if you should register, Center City students should contact OIA@Jefferson.edu and East Falls students contact TJU_EF_StudyAbroad@Jefferson.edu.
U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
Students traveling abroad are required to enroll in the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) as directed in the travel registration portal. Register your trip with the U.S. Department of State by visiting the STEP website at: https://step.state.gov/step/
To obtain travel advice or confirm immigration requirements, students should contact the Office of International Student Programs (East Falls Students) or Office of International Affairs (Center City Students).
Students may need official letters to aid in securing visas. Contact International Student Programs, Study Away (East Falls) or Office of International Affairs (Center City) for guidance.
Faculty Leading a GEO
Faculty Leading a GEO (non-credit travel) should follow the guidelines here.